Meet Milad Shamsi

Tell me a little about yourself!

I am a second-year Ph.D. student in Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, working under Dr. Michael D. Dickey and Dr. Richard J. Spontak. It is a little bit tricky to predict what I will pursue after leaving NC State, but I expect to find an industry R&D position. Also, I am down with an academic position because I like being around students. In my free time, I like playing golf, paddle boarding, cooking, and reading about astronomy!  

To perform our research, we are mostly using the Microtome, AFM, FEI Talos TEM, and FEI Verios SEM. My favorite part is that I can work on my own and practice a wide range of methodologies through learning from AIF mentors.

What have you been researching and how is it impacting the community?

Our research intends to provide a fundamental understanding of thermoplastic elastomer (TPE) fibers. This class of soft materials can be used for a wide range of applications including smart materials, sensors, biomedical, energy devices, and filters. Since TPE fibers are relatively new to the nonwoven industry, We truly think that their broad future influence has yet to be explored. We are hoping to elucidate  structure-process-property relationships for such materials in both academia and industry which enables a wide range of initiatives. 

What have you learned from your experience at AIF?

Working in AIF is a great experience! I have learned so much, become more independent and grown-up, improved all my key skills in research, and met some great people at AIF. I genuinely believe that no other role I could have taken on in the last two years would have challenged me as much or given me as much satisfaction.

TEM image of TPE fibers containing gallium-indium alloy particles

Is there a staff member at AIF that has helped you?

I received a lot of support from friendly staff members at AIF, particularly, Anna, Philip, Chuck, Roberto, Aaron, Chris, Abby, Fred, Toby.