Meet Ben Sekely

Hello! My name is Ben Sekely and I’m a 4th year PhD student in the Materials Science and Engineering department. My advisor is Dr. John Muth in the Electrical and Computer Engineering department. In my spare time, I enjoy reading, hiking and playing piano and guitar. I would like to pursue academia after my graduation and become a professor.

What instruments are you using for your research and why do you like them?

I use the Rigaku X-ray Diffractometer and the Horiba Scientific H-CLUE Spectroscopy and Imaging CL System. I like using the cathodoluminescence system as I am able to look at individual layers of complex stacked structures. The XRD is a quick yet powerful instrument that allows me to look at crystal structures of the materials that I’m working with.

What have you been researching?

Surface passivation is known to produce large effects on the recombination efficiency of III – V materials, including strongly enhanced emission behavior of surface quantum wells. Surface quantum wells are structures where a thin GaN capping layer is confined on one side by the vacuum and on the other side by an AlGaN barrier layer. Using 1D Poisson and Schrodinger equation solvers we model III – N surface quantum well structures and examine how the surface modifies the vacuum potential as well as how piezoelectric and polarization effects influence optical emission. The model is compared with experimental data from AlGaN/GaN HEMT structures that have a GaN cap.

“By understanding the effects of passivation on the surface, we can increase the efficiency of AlGaN/GaN HEMT devices.”

What have you learned from your experience at AIF?

Patience is the key to getting and understanding good data.

Best thing about AIF in 5 words or less?

Knowledgeable and kind staff members

Is there a staff member at AIF that has helped you?

Elaine Zhou has been exceptionally kind and helpful working on the cathodoluminescence tool.

Jenny Forrester is a pleasant and knowledgeable staff member, and answers all my questions.